Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I am Not Normal

Today I had an epiphony.

I am not a "9 to 5" girl.
And I don't have to be.
And that doesn't make me as immature as I once thought.
I need a job where I can move my body.
I need a job where I can be outside.
I need a job where I can create.
I need a job where I can use my brain instead of droning in front of a computer all day.
Computers make me feel gross.
So do offices.
I just figured out that I am not doomed to a career I will hate the rest of my life.  I don't have to work in a set schedule in a stupid office if I don't want to. I can do whatever I want for a living! How exciting!

So, if anyone has any ideas where I can be outside, be creative, work whatever schedule I want... you just let me know.

5 comments:

Chris and Jen Wright said...

be a mom- at least i'm trying to convince myself that I can make being a mom something like that. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Jacie Saltzman said...

haha thats what i was gonna say. be a mom and u got a 24/7 job. the pay is great too.

start your own business. making shoes. or candy. i will be the taste tester

Derek said...

Next time you have an epiphany, make sure you spell it correctly.

Anna said...

it's like you can read my mind-I thought I was going to go nuts last summer working at this office job for $13 an hour, sitting in front of a computer and staring. I finally quit and sang on my way out. Then I took a job at a gym where I got paid $7 and worked from 5am-1pm. I was never happier, I worked out at 5am while the ladies were in a class, if no one was there I was constantly on the machines, reading, wandering, talking to people... eating grits every day for breakfast.. I could've cared less that I didn't make more than a few pennies.

... your marathon post brought tears to my eyes, I think I'm a little emotional this time of month anyway...

OH, and right now I nanny 30 hours a week and lemme tell ya, I'm going to go crazy. I don't wanna wipe butts if they're not my kids, I wanna DO SOMETHING with my degree and live life! Aieeee

Jaron said...

I've had the same thoughts about 1 million times since I started working in a cube. Then something fun like field work come up and restores my sanity. So at the moment I'm content to take the bad with the good... plus I've got 3 mouths to feed and a mortgage, little bit different situation than you're in. I could give you my old boss's phone number from BYU grounds crew - you could lay pavers and build retaining walls when you're not throwing used tennis balls at EFY kids from the back of a truck! There's tons of creativity and outdoor time when one does any type of constuction. Plus you're pretty tough for a little blondie, you could handle it, but you may want to buy some carhart overalls for the winter!