Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Marathon

Did the Utah Valley Marathon this past Saturday. Wowee!

For the past couple of weeks, I had really been doubting whether I was actually going to go through with it. I didn't feel like I had trained enough and I was way more nervous than I was last time. Probably because this time I knew what to expect. Ju know.
I don't think I really committed to the marathon until about mile 17 of the actual race.

At mile 14, I had a crazy pain in my lower back that was slowly making its way up my spine. I lightly cried for about 3 miles. It was excruciating. So excruciating in fact, that at mile 17 I sat at the aid station and bawled mine eyes out. I didn't think I was going to be able to finish. I was pretty furious. Ive spent the past 16 weeks training and I just felt wayy frustrated that I couldn't finish, but it just hurt so bad!

Then I quit being a sissy and I got up. I felt a little better, but because I had sat, the rest of my body had basically cramped up. I was already sore and had 9.2 more miles to run. So that wasn't ideal.


The whole time I just had to keep telling myself I could do it. And i was just wondering why the freak I enjoy torturing myself.

about 50 yards away from the finish line, something inside me just snapped. Without even thinking, my legs started sprinting. I don't know how they did it! I was in so much pain. I crossed the finish line and literally collapsed into the arms of this old man. They made me chill in the medical tent for a bit since I couldn't stand. I touched my face and realized it was pretty wet and gross feeling with tears, snot, and salt residue.

Crossing the finish line made me remember why I love torturing myself. All the physical and mental pain that was relentless through out the race was worth it. It just felt good knowing that I had given literally every thing inside me. I think this is one of the only times in my life where I have actually given my VERY best. Not just where i try hard and do pretty good, but i gave it everything. And it just felt good! And i beat my time last year by 20 mins so that was sweet too.

Thank you hubsy, Hope, Kenz, Kim & Jesse, Willi, Laci, brother & Aly for coming out to cheer me on!

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

you=amazing! i wish i could say that i am brave/talented enough to do that! im proud of you!

Willi Nixon said...

it was so fun to come cheer you on :) seriously, i don't know how you do it. if only i had that kind of determination

Chris and Jen Wright said...

I wish i could say you are a woman after my own heart, but my heart def doesn't want to run a marathon- so instead i'll just say that you are an inspiration.and tough. and hot too! dang, you look cute after 20+ miles.

janelle stubbs said...

okay i'm really glad i just noticed you have a blog- so do i, so i'm adding you to my page so i can look more often! i'm so glad that you did so well and how awesome that you improved by 20min!! i'm super jealous, but you are a great inspiration!

Jessica Brown said...

You are awesome Amb! I'm so proud of you. Way to not give up. Did you ever figure out what the pain was? If you can run a marathon you can have a baby. . . speaking of which would you guys get crackin already? Liv and Warner need some cousins to play with in a major way!