Monday, September 2, 2013

Our Restaurant

We frequently frequented a restaurant near our place in Kampala. 

It didn't have a name. 
It didn't have other patrons. 
I'm not even sure it had food. 

We would go in and sit down, and order something. For example, Danny usually got chips and chicken. The lady would go in the back, walk out the back door, and be gone for a considerable amount of time. [I should note, this wasn't like a one time occurence, it was every time we ate there. We just thought it was so funny we had to keep going back]. She would come back with a mysterious black sack, and then start chopping up the potatoes (chips = french fries) and then cooking the rest of the food. Danny probably ordered chips and chicken 5-7 times while we were there, and the food on the plate came out different every time. 

I ordered something different every time and I think one of those times it came out as I expected. I ordered chapati and got chapati. But.. she went out and bought it from a street vendor while we were there. Haha. 



Some fun things to point out from the menu: Omulette = omelette. 
I have no idea what chicken "off layers" means. 
I have no idea what G nuts are. 
Telapia = tilapia which really = some kind of fish. 


The chickens in the back would come in through that door pretty much every time we were there. I guess we knew our food was fresh?



2 comments:

Debbie said...

I googled "g nuts" and up popped "g nuts Uganda" so there I went and found out that g nuts are ground nuts or peanuts, nuts grown in the ground. So now you know. I love love love you and your blog.

Amber Masters said...

Be careful googling the word nuts! Haha. Thanks for finding out what they are for me! xoxo