Friday, July 26, 2013

Nile Rafting Trip


This trip was pretty off the hook. We got picked up by a sweet bus with holes in the floor (so I could see the road under my feet through the holes), made friends with some Swiss girls on the way, and then shared a raft with them down the Nile. Before the trip began they had us practice some drills so that no one would drown, and to be perfectly honest, I can't  believe they let us do the trip. No one could row together, i'm not confident a couple of people on our raft could swim, and probably 80% of people on our raft had almost no athletic ability.
I really thought we were all going to drown.
Fortunately, we only tipped once. I got stuck under the raft and tried to come up to find an air pocket -- only to swallow one gigantic gulp of the Nile. I had two immediate thoughts: 1) i am going to die and 2) if i don't die, i am going to the worst kind of sick for the next forever. (worst kind of sick = many trips to the bathroom kind. In a match between my body v. drinking the water here, water wins. every. time.)
When I finally surfaced, I can only imagine how panicked my face looked (still not sure if i was more concerned about drowning or the fact that i drank the water) and Danny was there to calmly say "your ok amber! your ok" and then he drifted away and I never saw him again until the end of the trip-- we were actually somewhat close to the end, but it freaked me out not having him in the boat with me. Haha.
One of the swiss girls we made friends with was cracking me up all day. She was just giggly every time we would go over the rapids (think of the sound the pillsbury doughboy makes), and would never hold on and or paddle, and would just fly out of the raft.
Video to come!









Delicious breakfast on the way to the Nile = Chapati (really thick greasy tortilla) + egg. Makes me a happy camper!



Haggard after the trip 
This, and these next few pics portray how me and danny are soul mates. None of these faces were planned.. and yet oddly, identical











4 comments:

Teddy said...

AAAAAAHHHHHHH! This looks amazing. and terrifying. I'm glad you survived and got some great pictures and video! What an adventure! YOU RAFTED THE NILE RIVER! And you didn't die and you weren't eaten by scary fish or diseases! Success! I love your life!

Teddy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber Masters said...

Haha Teddy it was SOOO fun you would have loved it!!

Jessica Brown said...

I love it! We rafted the zambizi river when I was in Africa and I can still remember this German guy shouting "Mine shoe!" as it floated away from him down the river. So fun. Are you going to do some safaris while your there?