Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Gorilla and Monkey Houses

We stayed in two sweet houses on the last bit of our trip. First up, the Gorilla House:

(front)

(back)

A magical house seated right on the edge of the rainforest, aptly named for its frequent citings of the endangered mountain gorillas. We were not fortunate enough to happen upon such an encounter, but we did our best to make ourselves available to them.

When we arrived @ Bwindi, we stayed here first. It was DUMPING rain, and close to midnight when we got in. It is a short walk down to the house from the main road, and on the way, we saw the biggest snake I have ever seen in my life. It was too wet to get my equipment out, but if you don't believe me, ask Danny. Huge and sick sick sick.

It was sweet listening to the rain on the tin roof while we took HOT showers and jumped in our king sized bed (such luxury!). We also never got over it being fun to sleep with a mosquito net-- like a fort built already for you.

The next place we stayed was called the Monkey House. I was unable to score pics of the outside, but you can get a similar idea from the interior. It was a tiny cottage for just me and Danny, all alone in the rain forest.

It is also aptly named. Holy attack by monkeys.
The door out to our patio:

Our shower had three walls and the back was open to the forest, giving way for little monkeys to try to come play with me in the shower. No thank you! Also I literally yanked our shampoo out of their handsy little hands. They won the soap though.


the open ness of the shower: 



sneaky little devils: 


They would literally fall out of the trees and bang onto our tin roof at night. 
Some mornings I would work out on our back porch, and they would peek their little heads over the roof to watch me and plan their attack. 

In the end, we made friends and I would feed them bananas. Even though I still think they are a little creepy and human like. 




No comments: